Saturday, December 13, 2008

YEY, WE MADE IT TO SEE YOLI AND JOSE' ( I had to change the title after seeing these photos)

MY SWEET SWEET FRIEND!
BUNDLED AND COZY
HEY JUST BECAUSE I'M LITTLE, DON'T FORGET ME HERE!
PRETTY LIGHTS AROUND THE PLAZA (PHOTOS COURTESY OF YOLI)

IT SEEMED AS THOUGH WE COULDN'T GET TO NY FAST ENOUGH TO SEE OUR AWAITING FRIENDS! THE BABY HAD HER NAP, ATE, AND THEN THEN OUR HEATER WENT. OKAY, CALM DOWN, I SAID TO MYSELF WHILE I WAS STOMPING AROUND THINKING SHOULD WE GO OR STAY TILL THE HEATER GUY CAME AND FIXED IT. I CALLED THE GAS COMPANY AND EXPLAINED (our sweet friends from Florida are in NY) WE HAD A BABY IN THE HOUSE AND THE HEATER DIDN'T WORK.  THE GAS COMPANY SAID, "WE'LL BE THERE BETWEEN 9AM AND 4PM!  THEN I REPEATED, DOES HAVING A BABY MAKE US PRIORITY?  THEY SAID, THEY'LL MAKE A NOTE OF IT!  OOOH, I FOUND MYSELF BITING MY TONGUE ONCE AGAIN.  ISN'T THIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY FRIENDS?  
FORTUNATELY, I MUST HAVE GOTTEN ACROSS TO SOMEONE EMPATHETIC AND THEY CAME AND FOUND AND FIXED THE PROBLEM.  YEY HOO, IS ALL I COULD SAY. 

THEN OFF TO NY WE WENT!

It was a year since we first met Jose and Yoli in China.  Now there we stood in the "Met" as we hugged, smooched and were reunited once again.  Oh we had so much to chat about.  I loved the expressions on Yolis' face when she saw Kira again...she lovingly picked her up and gave her the sweetest hug and kiss.  I enjoyed the three of them interacting and when we went to eat and settled down, it was as if Kira somehow remembered them.  She smiled from across the table and then went to sit in Yoli's lap...again craving more love from this wonderful woman and Mommy to two beautiful adopted children.  We took pics, Jose took more pics and then we went to Rockefeller Center (My IDEA).  

Okay, so you know when you're all excited about something, you forget certain things...like how far you are walking!  So I had these shoes on, clogs meant for high speed walkers like myself, however, they weren't really broken in and so my foot started to ache a bit.  I didn't pay attention and just kept walking.  The night was so beautiful...the crisp, cold air, the smell of roasted chestnuts from the street vendors and colorful Christmas lights all around us lit up the night.  We walked along Madison Avenue having fun window shopping and talking.  

53 blocks, 3 Elmos,  one Winnie the Pooh, a Bunny and 3 dozen Santas later, we arrived at Rockefeller Plaza!






HOW PRETTY!  It had to be the biggest Christmas tree I ever saw and felt like we stepped into a movie set.  Just lovely, especially since it was a first time for Kira and I to be there.  Yes, I admit, never been there before while living so close!  But it didn't matter, I was enjoying another first with good friends and my little daughter.  We took more photos, and then had to part and make a train back to NJ.  Oh, how I wanted to stay and spend more time with Yoli and Jose.  They warm my heart!  We reluctantly had to leave and gave big hugs until we can meet up again.  


So the long, cold walk to the train station was on.  I started to get an awful cramp in my foot and had to stop.  I knew it was my shoe, but hey, I couldn't take it off, so Dani tried to get a cab. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE  to hail a cab on Madison Ave at night, so we kept walking.  Meanwhile Kira was bawling and screaming, wanting to get out of the stroller.  Where is Yoli?  She'd be able to calm her down!  It was getting colder by the minute and all I could think of was not letting my baby get cold.  Dani took off his inner coat and we wrapped it around her, (she had layers of clothes on), I put my scarf around her face and we sheltered her from the wind.  She kept on crying and I thought, where the heck is a cab when you need one! 
So we walked another mile or more to the train and Kira finally fell asleep.  She wasn't cold thankfully and just slept till we got home.  

In the meantime, I had this aweful pain in my foot that was just getting worse.  I paid no attention to it really since my eyes were on Kira the whole train ride home.  It wasn't until this morning that I awoke with one great big, toe that was so swollen and painful, I thought it must be broken to hurt like that.  Mega strength Motrin failed to help, ice a bit, but the throbbing of it all, was the worst...it feels as if every nerve in your body ends up in that one toe!  I can't bare weight on it and thought, how could a walk have caused this?  Well, I still don't know and my doctor said it's trauma to the nerve and tendons and prescribed a walking boot (which I can't get today because that walking boot store is closed).  

Well, I still can't get over how much fun the day was for us all.  Despite my aching toe, my heart is full with the love of good friends and my family.  Hey blogging would be boring if not for a little adventure, right!


OKAY, I ADMIT IT, THESE ARE WHY MY FOOT HURTS...ACHING TO BUY THEM!
MORE CITY BEAUTY
YES, ELMO'S WERE OUT PATROLING THE STREETS OF NY


AND HERE WE ARE, YOLI AND JOSE AT THE TOP THERE, DANI AND I ON THE BOTTOM, YOU CAN TELL WHERE I AM, CAN'T MISS THAT BIG MOUTH!





Well now that I uploaded some of the highlights, I find myself missing Yoli and Jose terribly! The baby just loves you both and so do I. So until we meet up again, it will be a Holiday to remember for sure! Thanks for coming up and hope you had a wonderful time!

11 comments:

Billy and Maggie said...

Oh Ivy so sorry to hear about your toe. Sounds like you had a lovely time in NY. I love Manhattan during Christmas, it's so pretty! No pics?? Hope you heal quickly!

Lisa said...

HOLY COW, woman! 53 blocks? And then you walked to the train too? You are nuts. But the good kind of nuts. I hope that toe is a-feeling better in no time and glad you had fun with your pals, Ivy. And that you can recuperate in the HEATED home. Yeah for heat! And nice heating repairmen.

Kristin said...

How wonderful that you had so much fun with your travel mates!! A fun time, I'm sure! I haven't been to NY in years.....and never at Christmas time. I'll bet it was beautiful.

Glad the headt is back on. I've been wondering about all my northern and frozen friends.

I sure do hope your toe feels better soon. foot pain is not fun. BTDT.

Ivy Shaffer said...

Thank you my sweet friends for the empathetic comments regarding my big toe! As you can see, it's throbbing and woke me at 0300am so I decided to come down stairs and blog.
After I posted this I thought when Yoli sees this she may feel bad, although the walk was our idea and my crazy husband kept saying "it's just a few short NY blocks up the street!" So Yoli, don't feel bad, maybe it was imagining myself in Prada that got me in this situation:)) and so much for "short blocks in NY", no such thing!
Then Dani told me today, yeah we walked a bit more, like 5 miles! Oh now that explains my aching toe! So today, going lounge around, put my foot up, ice and eat more Motrin!
Despite the little set back, I must say Christmas in NY is spendid. So come on out and join us next year!

hugs,

Ivy

PS Kristin, you'll need to show me how I can use my name instead of myheartbeatsinchina (I used that while we were waiting and should change it now). Thanks all and goodnight for now.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Other than your toe, it sounds like you had a fantastic time in NYC with your sweet friends!!

There is nothing like Rockefeller Center at Christmas....it is so beautiful....and very magical!!

Hope you toe is better....I know how painful that can be....for something so small, they can sure cause a lot of pain!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend:)

Lisa

Vivian M said...

I am so sorry about your toe! But hey, that's no excuse - where are the pictures??!!!

Eileen said...

I was about 10 years old the last time I was at Rockefeller Center. How fun for you. Worth the sore toe!

Yoli said...

I am SOOOO horribly sorry about your toe! Jose and I are so used to walking that we forgot to check if you had shoes that were go to go such a long distance. SORRY. I am very happy we got to see you and Kira. So so happy. Have a wonderful holiday season my friend.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time, except for your toe. Hope it heals up quickly for you.
Love the pics.

Jennifer said...

Love the pictures!!! Glad you had a great time. I never really got your hear your "foot" story on Saturday. I was so busy at the party. We are going to NYC on Wed. I will remember to wear comfortable shoes.

Isn't it great to meet back up with your travelmates??? Friends that will last a lifetime!

Jen

Kate said...

Ivy,

It was so great to meet you...and your "secret" news is very exciting....can't wait to watch the progress!!

We enjoyed getting to meet you and your husband and sweet girl!! I got a sweet picture of her on the steps...but I didn't want to post it without you permission....I will try to remember to send it to you when I get home from work.

Hope your foot is feeling better!!!

Kate

 
© Hunan Spice
CoffeeShop Designs